Democratizing Innovation by Eric Von Hippel Chapters 1- 4
Chapter 1 With a traditional model, a user’s only role is to have needs, which
manufacturers then identify and fill by designing and producing new products.
The manufacturer-centric model does fit some fields and conditions.
We are heading towards a user-centered innovation process. - can develop exactly what they want - can benefit from innovations by others - increases social welfare
User firms with unique needs will always be better off developing new products
Important processes or improvements are developed by users
- machines that facilitate and abridge labor, and enable one man to do the work of many
- working on a machine naturally leads to thoughts of improvement
- mainly developed by lead users
- experience needs today that the bulk of the market will want tomorrow
- users who are on the leading edge of important market trends - anticipate benefits from getting a solution
Technique innovation is …